OneNewsNow Readers Say the Darndest Things!
Fundie “news” site OneNewsNow allows readers to comment on their articles. Looking through those comments can be funny/scary.
Obama Hates Religion!
Brian Fitzpatrick wrote an opinion piece titled “Does Barack Obama disdain religion?” The article is about this widely-reported comment of Obama’s:
It’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.
Fitzpatrick thinks Barack Obama hates religion and religious people. I find that hard to believe, because Obama is one of the more thump-happy Biblers of the three candidates. I agree that his quote seems to contradict his prior statements about how important his religion is to him. I’ll leave it to others to resolve this contradiction. It’s more fun to see what the readers of OneNewsNow have to think about the issue. Here are a few choice comments left by the readers (all are anonymous):
- Barry Obama seems to hate American and, as President, I can’t trust him not to destroy us or deliver us into the hands of foreign powers. With the exception of a few top traitors, we’ll be a nation of slaves.
- God help us if Obama gets elected. You can say good bye to this once great nation.
- This is just another sign that the Rapture [is] very near. Does anyone else see the path being prepared for the anti-christ’s arrival? By the time politicians and media leaders are finished feeding us their watered down versions of Christianity a one world religion will be welcomed with opened arms by those who don’t know the one true Christ.
Not That Global Warming Lie Again!
As I mentioned recently, fundies seem to embrace global warming denialism. Jim Brown wrote an opinion piece (that OneNewsNow presents as news) titled “Authors raise concerns about Bush’s new stance on ‘global warming’”. Note the scare quotes around “global warming”.
The article acts like global warming isn’t real, and it bemoans the fact that George W Bush has grudgingly set forth some weak guidelines to combat climate change. Here are a couple of reader comments:
- I can’t believe President Bush fell for this global warming baloney. I thought he was smarter than that. Sheesh. [emphasis added]
- Imagine trying to save the Earth from global warming. The same Earth that God is going to destroy in His own time.
Thank God for Captain Stubing!
Steve Gallagher’s column, “Could the apostasy be upon us?”, was inspired by a Gavin MacLeod movie. Gallagher tells us about the film Time Changer. He writes:
The storyline occurs in 1890 and revolves around Bible professor Russell Carlisle, who is unwittingly transported by a time machine into modern-day America. For five days, he finds himself trapped in a wicked world to which you and I have become shamefully accustomed.
The rest of the article pretty much follows that tone. Here’s what the OneNewsNow readers have to say about it:
- May God come quickly and put an end to the evil world filled with anti-God, anti-family homos and murdering Islamo-fascists.
- I beleive Gallagher is right on. I pray that God will begin a great revival in this country or we will see the end of it in short time!
- Praise GOD the end is very near.
- Don’t just make the end times excuse to sit and do nothing while the liberals take over.
The Government Must Stop Divorce!
Another Jim Brown article is “Deterioration of families now a ‘legitimate gov’t concern,’ says activist”. Brown writes:
A new report commissioned by four policy and research groups finds that high rates of divorce and out-of-wedlock births cost American taxpayers a minimum of $112 billion annually.
Divorce definitely has a social cost, and probably a cost to the taxpayer as well. I don’t know how reputable this particular study is. What I’m more interested in is the fundie response. Let’s see what the OneNewsNow readers have to say:
- As soon as God got pulled out of public schools it all went downhill from there. This is the consequence – if you take the light out darkness results.
- Making divorce illegal would go a long way in stopping this!!!
- Many “Christians” support the agenda of the Satanic left – an agenda that contributes to the problem of disentegrating families.
- Efforts to strengthen the family will go nowhere as long as American keeps distancing itself from God and allowing the homosexual agenda to move forward.
Cover Those Offensive Magazines!
Allie Martin’s article “Online petition drive asks Wal-Mart to cover offensive magazines” is about people who are offended by Cosmopolitan and other racy magazines being on display at the checkout counter. Most of the comments to this article are fairly reasonable. But there is one fundie jewel:
- I don’t want to see this trash myself. It is immoral for anyone to look at. When younger people look at this it awakens feelings that shouldn’t be awakened until a person is married.
Post-Modern Third-Graders Plot to Murder Teacher!
Pete Chagnon tells us “Christian educator blames post-modern mindset in plot to kill teacher”. He writes:
Christian educator Finn Laursen says the recent incident in which third-graders were caught conspiring to possibly kill their teacher highlights the need for educators to teach children the difference between right and wrong.
Here’s what the OneNewsNow readers think about that:
- Here’s a novel concept and the only legimate reform: ‘Returning the Bible and Wisdom principles to our public school children by exercising our First Amendment Rights.’
- I’d be interested in knowing how many of those girls were taking anti-depressant drugs, as most of the recent high-profile killers have been.
- As long as kids are taught they’re nothing more than animals…they’re gonna act like animals.
- The Ten Commandments belong back in the schools, along with prayers. Our children and some adult have no guideline anymore.